Thursday, December 23, 2010

Portland Panda Preservation & Procreation Project

Dillies is a Bar about a block away from where I used to live. Hardly anyone goes there so it’s a nice place to drink without being disturbed. If you sit by the window facing New Seasons (a chain of well-kempt grocery stores in and around Portland), you can watch as hundreds of well-dressed, attractive people rummage for groceries with miniaturized, streamlined shopping carts. If you drink enough alcohol, it’s enough to make you throw up.

I sat by that window for an entire day once. When New Seasons closed, I just picked up my drink and migrated to the back room, where they keep the barely functional piano, extra tables, and stacked up analog televisions: This is where I met the guy who got me addicted and arrested, the guy who, probably, saved my life. I think his name was Bill. He was very Chinese. He was dressed as a Panda. We fell asleep. A garbage truck woke us up.


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, this place looks awfully familiar. Perhaps I read about it in a magazine or saw it in the new hit, city self-deprecating series from Fred Armisted and Carrie Brownstein, Portlandia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Trey, we're safe. You don't need to cover your tracks.)

    ReplyDelete